Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 2

Day 2 started out a little rougher than I would have liked. We started our housing and hiring meeting at 8:30, meaning we had to get up at 7:30... meaning it felt like 5:30. And after the horrible night's sleep we got (turns out the rumors were true- people are obnoxiously loud until 1 AM), we were all running on about four hours of sleep. It turns out that our beds are also not really beds, they're rocks. They also happen to be really LOUD rocks. So turning over wakes not only yourself, but your roommate up due to the excessive noise the mattresses make, and its hard enough to fall asleep because they're so hard, and we also have a window through which all of the street lamps illuminate our room. It's going to take some getting used to, but I think once I start working and I'm totally dead I'll just conk out without a problem.

Today I just had to fill out all of my paperwork to be hired, so I am no officially a Disney employee. We also found out where we'll be working. And when they told me mine, there was a small celebration going on in the line. Everyone is pretty much jealous that I get to be a Fairy Godmother In Training, so since we'd had to wait in line so long together, we all knew what we were hoping for, and as I went up to find out if I'd be working in Downtown Disney or Cinderella's Castle, the people behind me in line were all listening as well. And surprise! I'll be working in Cinderella's Castle! It's a harder commute, but they told me that I get the cooler costume (the blue and purple as opposed to the ugly brown and orange), and because I'm slightly shallow like that, I'd much rather have the prettier costume with a long commute than a shorter commute with an ugly costume.

Brooke knows that she's a face character now. They haven't told her specifically which one--but it means that her likelihood of being Belle or Snow White has drastically gone up. She may not be a princess (i.e. she could be a villain, but there are very few villains she could be. Most require extremely tall and extremely thin women). She's pretty much got a 99% chance of being one of the princesses.

Bri will be working in Adventureland, but she'll rotate attractions within there, so she still doesn't know what ride she'll be starting on or what her costume will look like. But that also includes the Haunted House and Indiana Jones so... she's got two REALLY good rides there already.

Allison is 20 and I think she'll be working in Tomorrowland in one of the future cafes. But I'm not entirely sure on that one. I know someone is working in a futuristic cafe. Their costumes are WEIRD. Just saying.

I can't really remember where Lindsey and Lisa are working, because let's face it--I was a little preoccupied with where I was going to be working. I've had a lot of people tell me which attractions and restaurants they'll be working in, and it's all becoming a blur. Similar to that first week of a new semester when you get 100 names shoved at you and not a single one sticks. Only this time, I've got names AND jobs shoved at me, so there's an even higher likelihood that I won't remember any of them.

After finishing our hire information, we had to hop on a bus to take us over to The Commons--the international college student housing. First off, I was at the end of the line, so the bus left before about ten of us could make it there, so we came to the housing presentation about twenty minutes late. But it didn't really matter, it's not like it could have been helped. Second--the international housing is SO much better than ours. I mean, I thought we had pretty decent apartments. No. We get to The Commons and they're all brand new, big, and well kept. We decided that no matter where you go, international housing will always be the best, because they want to leave a good impression on the foreigners.

We had a bit of our brainwashing today--not nearly what tomorrow's will be, but it was a small bit of brainwashing involving housing. They're really strict here--strict enough that you're not even allowed to bring in a toy gun or light saber, because it's considered a weapon and can get you terminated from the program. They kept using the word "terminated"-- it seems to be their favorite word.

We left the freezing cold room and went back outside where it wasn't much better--believe it or not, it's not that hot here. I wore pants and a half sleeve cardigan all of yesterday, and today I could have pulled off pants if I wanted to. I probably should have, because I was cold for most of the day. It's warm outside, that's for sure--but it's also wet. And as warm as it is, it's not that kind of warm that makes you think of lying out to tan. I'm sure I'll be saying differently come June and July, but for now, it's not TOO hot. It's pretty bearable. My hair still hates it though. :)

Tonight I'm facing a dilemma--do I go to the block party, or do I take sleeping pills and knock myself out so that I can get up at 5:30 (which will feel like 3:30) to catch a bus over to the Magic Kingdom? I start my Disney indoctrination class tomorrow at 8:30 AM, and have to catch a 6:45 bus to get there in time. I'll meet my trainer over at the Disney College at the Magic Kingdom. Judging by how noisy it was last night when there wasn't an organized party going on... I'm thinking tonight is bound to be extremely loud tonight. Especially since the block party is happening ON our street. Brooke and I are thinking we may go to the beginning of the party and then leave at a reasonable hour and crash. Supposedly there's a block party every week (could be a false rumor, but that's what I've been told), so it wouldn't be TOO bad to miss this one, but apparently this is where you get to meet everyone, and I don't want to miss out on that. Then again, I'd also like to be awake when I meet my trainer. :)

To compensate, I took a three and a half hour nap just a bit ago, so at least I've gotten some rest, right? :)

Tonight's looking to be fun/stressful, as is waking up tomorrow so early, but I'm excited to start work tomorrow. Tomorrow is the first day we start getting paid (to go to brainwashing class. How awesome is that?) and it's the first time we'll really start DOING something related to our work this summer. I can potentially start working on Thursday in Cinderella's Castle, which would be awesome, so cross your fingers. We're quickly learning that down time here is NOT as fun as it is at school. At least not while we don't know anyone except our own apartment. But I'm definitely excited to start working in the castle--come to find out, my job is probably one of the most coveted jobs by other female employees here. And also, come to find out, it's one of the harder jobs to get--apparently they want experience with hair and makeup, as well as experience with children. I guess it's a good thing that of the little experience I have, it's that. :)

I've found it extremely interesting to watch the people here in Vista Way--especially at the bus stop. Half of them are in costume and half are just walking around in their casual clothes. Part of me thinks that living here and going through this takes away the magic of Disney for me--especially listening and watching some of the employees. But at the same time, it's amazing what a transformation these people make. I'm seeing a majority of black and hispanic guys with pants at their knees and baggy shirts complete with chains, and yet, when they come to the bus stop to commute to work, they're wearing the ugliest costumes in history like it's no problem. It's just funny to see what the Disney employees are REALLY like when they're not forced to smile and only think about the guests.

1 comments:

squirrelyearl said...

I could power a small city with my whining; go buy yourself a mattress pad you big baby.

Welcome to the working world. Wears you out, huh?

Post a Comment