Wednesday, May 26, 2010

One Month Mark!

I realize it's been a while since I last posted, and I apologize. There just hasn't been much to say! My life is all work, pretty much, and sleep when I'm not working. This past weekend I was scheduled for a 12.5 hour shift on Friday, a 10 hour shift on Saturday, and a 12 hour shift on Sunday. I knew there was no way I was going to make it, so I ended up switching my 12 hour on Sunday with one of my coworkers for her 6.5 hour shift. That was really nice, because her shift was from 7:30-1:45, so I felt like I had the rest of the day to myself.

On another note, Star Wars Weekends is back! It began last weekend and continues for the next three. I headed over to Hollywood Studios after work one day this past weekend to see if I could meet Darth Vader, but unfortunately, he had already retired for the day. I'm hoping that I can trade shifts with someone this weekend so that I can go earlier in the day to meet him. And, of course, Darth Maul. And Jango Fett. And Boba Fett. And some Storm Troopers. But really, I'm most excited for Darth Vader. Who wouldn't be?

It's funny, because Allyson works at Hollywood Studios, and she said that she sees them all the time backstage. I'm so incredibly jealous. I'm used to seeing all of the princesses in various states of dress, but I'd LOVE to see the Star Wars characters backstage. Some of my roommates actually know some of them. I believe Bri said she knows Darth Vader, which also makes me green with envy.

I've spent some more time in the parks since I last posted. I decided that if I ever wanted to see the parks, I was going to have to get over my exhaustion and just go after work by myself. So I've been doing that the past couple days, spending time in Hollywood Studios and the Magic Kingdom. Here are some of the things I think should be seen at Hollywood Studious and Magic Kingdom (in case you ever decide to come here):

1. Beauty and the Beast
At Hollywood Studios. This is a 20 minute show that quickly goes through the story of Beauty and the Beast. It's a pretty good show, and very entertaining. I would highly suggest seeing it. But make sure you get there early! I went by myself and still ended up sitting in the back in the corner. If you're going with a group, make sure to get there at least a half hour before.

2. The Voyage of the Little Mermaid
At Hollywood Studios. This is some spectacular puppetry work. I was amazed by it. The special effects in this show are really cool, and the girl I saw as Ariel was amazing. It's a 17 minute show in a small theater, using both puppetry and live actors.

3. Tower of Terror
At Hollywood Studios. Of COURSE this has to be on my list, because it's my all-time favorite ride. When I went after work, we were seated in the elevator, buckled ourselves in... and got stuck. The seatbelts didn't want to release us, so we were stuck for about 15 minutes. Thankfully, the bellhop serving us was a great actor and kept us entertained, and we were eventually moved to another elevator. When we got off, we were sent right back upstairs and put directly on another one to make up for the inconvenience. I think it's worth getting stuck on that ride. Also, this ride is MUCH better at DisneyWorld than at California Adventure. For both the scenery and the ride itself. The ride here has 13 different types of drops, so that you can never predict when you're going to fall, or how.

4. Rockin' Rollercoaster feat. Aerosmith
At Hollywood Studios. Good music, a great rollercoaster, and air conditioning. Need I say more? It's an entirely indoor rollercoaster, set up as if you are on your way in a limo to an Aerosmith concert. One of my favorite rides here at DisneyWorld.

5. Star Tours
At Hollywood Studios. This may be old and cheesy, but I still find it entertaining. The line for this ride is spectacular, and there's a lot to look at. However, they're shutting down this ride in June and are completely changing it. It will still be Star Tours, but newer. Chances are that it will still be closed by the time I leave, but I bet the new one will be fantastic.

6. Jungle Cruise
At MK. This is a ride everyone passes over when they come to Adventureland. I think it's a ride worth doing, if not multiple times. As far as the ride goes, it's a pretty lame ride--but the skippers know that. If you get a good skipper, it's a hilarious 5 minutes or so. At the MK, if you ever get the chance to go on it, request Jack. I've been told by Bri that he's the funniest, and the president of the MK went on his boat, loved him, and now Jack is allowed to say whatever he pleases without following the script. Therefore, his boat is the best one. I have yet to go on his, but I have been on Bri's and Becca's (a girl who lives in the apartment above me) and they are both very funny.

7. Peter Pan's Flight
At MK. One word of advice: wait in the line! This ride always has an extremely long line, and there is no fastpass for it. There should be, but there isn't. However, I think it's a fantastic ride, and well worth the wait. Maybe not if it's a two hour wait, but an hour? I say go for it. Then again, I love Peter Pan to death, so I may be a little biased.

8. Pirates of the Caribbean
At MK. Now, I try not to compare the rides between DisneyWorld and Disneyland, but I have to say... the Disneyland version is so much better. The line for this one is much cooler, because they had so much more space for it, but the ride itself is better at Disneyland. It's still worth going on, though.

9. Wishes
At MK. This is a spectacular fireworks show. It's competing with their old fireworks show to be my favorite. Makes me cry every time I see it. I don't know why, but it does. It's simply fantastic.

10. Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It
At MK. This is a parade that actually lets guests get involved, rather than just sitting on the side of the street. It usually happens three or four times a day, and it's a pretty fun parade. It's full of stilt walkers, characters, and dancers, and it stops right in front of the castle. When the parade stops at the castle, they invite everyone to come in the street with them and dance. I thought it was going to be a pretty lame parade when I first heard about it, but I actually quite enjoyed it.

11. Fantasmic
At Hollywood Studious. Simply spectacular. It's an amazing water, fireworks, and special effects show. Another show that makes me cry without fail every time I see it. Disney knows what they're doing. :)

12. The Haunted Mansion
At MK. MUCH better here than at Disneyland, hands down. The inside is actually different from the other, and though there are some similarities, I like the changes they made to this one (by the way, this one IS newer than Disneyland's. Everything in DisneyWorld is newer, because it's a newer park. Just in case you didn't know that. Except for Cinderella's Carousel in Fantasyland here. That is the oldest ride in ANY Disney park. I believe it's from 1910 or somewhere around there, from another amusement park. It's name is going to be changed to Prince Charming Regal Carousel starting June 1). The mansion is cooler looking (and creepier), the ride is cooler... I just like this one a lot better.

That's about all I can think of for now. I would also suggest, if you have small children and can afford it (or if you just like to meet princesses), that you book a reservation for Cinderella's Royal Table inside Cinderella's Castle. You dine with the princesses on the second floor of the castle, and it's the only way to see inside (unless you happen to know how to get a reservation for the one hotel room at the top of the castle, and you can actually afford it). Another fun dining experience that a lot of princesses tell me about in the boutique, is dinner with the princesses at the Crystal Palace near Main Street in the MK. There's also something like a storytime dinner with the princesses in Norway at Epcot. Those three are the restaurants I hear most about from my princesses and their parents.

0 comments:

Post a Comment