Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Today's Highlights

Some of the better moments of today:

1. Princess Aubrey
She was a 3 year old Chinese girl, adopted by a white family from Ohio, I believe. She was my first princess to fall asleep in the chair. I had to hold her head while another girl did her makeup, and then her mother said "You're almost done!" The only word she heard was "DONE!" and she gasped, whipped her head around to see what she looked like, and peeked way before she was supposed to. From then on, she kept trying to peek around me to look in the mirror, and I had to keep covering her eyes.

2. Princess Jordan
She was my first Make A Wish princess. She had spinal bifida, and I'm not sure if she had something else, but her scalp was really red and tender and I could tell she was in a lot of pain. But she remained happy and positive as one of the other boutique girls read a story to her while I worked on her hair, and in the end, she was so happy and we got her all set with a purse and gloves and wand and crown. She was a sweetie, and I ended up having to run to the back to cry once I said goodbye to her.

3. My First Handicapped Princess
I can't remember her name, but she reminded me a lot of Lauren. I'm not entirely sure what she had, but she seemed developmentally delayed and speech impaired. She was six years old, but her speech was at the level of about a two year old. She didn't say much, but her mom and grandmother talked to me the majority of the time, and at first I found them to be a little overbearing and abrasive, but when I finished they were all praises and just aweing over what I had done to their daughter/granddaughter. And then, much to my surprise, they asked if I could sign her autograph book and take a picture with her to put next to my signature. Let me tell you--I need to work on my signature. I signed it "Fairy Godmother in Training Caitlin" as I'd been instructed to (we're not allowed to just sign it Fairy Godmother since... she actually has her own character and signature) and we took a picture and her mother started crying and then gave me a $15 tip. It was a nice surprise to the end of that one, because the mother was a hairdresser, and usually those are the mothers that are the worst to deal with because they nitpick at everything you do. I hadn't thought any of them were enjoying it until the end when they totally flip-flopped and started gushing about how wonderful it was and how amazing I was for doing it. Definitely a self-esteem booster right there, and a better end to that princess's time than I thought it would be.

4. Rainforest Cafe
After work, I dressed in casual clothes and went into the MK through one of the cast doors. I ended up making my way to Downtown Disney where I met up with Brooke, Lisa, and Bri (they'd spent the day at Blizzard Beach). We made a reservation at the Rainforest Cafe and Lindsay and Ally met up with us once Ally got off of work. We split our dishes to reduce the cost, and got a 20% cast member discount on top of that, so Brooke, Bri and I decided to go for one of the more expensive plates and get a bunch of seafood. In the end, it was about 8 bucks per person for a filling seafood dinner. I think it was totally worth it. Afterward, we headed over to the Ghiradelli Ice Cream Parlor and Brooke and I split a sundae. It was a nice way to finish off the day and start my break. :)

Tomorrow, those of us who have the day off are heading over to Typhoon Lagoon for the day. I love Typhoon Lagoon because it's such a lazy water park. I'm not a fan of water slides at ALL, so they all did Blizzard Beach today and last week on days I had work. But I love Tyhoon Lagoon because I can just lay there and enjoy the water and the sun and not feel anxious about all of the water slides. They really just make me jittery. Even if I'm not going on them. Just having them nearby puts me on edge for some reason. So tomorrow I'll spend time in the giant wave pool and the "beach" and we'll probably swim with the sharks. :) It'll be really nice to finally spend some time outside. Here's to hoping I get a tan tomorrow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment