Monday, May 10, 2010

What Day Is It Again?

There is a lot I could say about the past few days that's not so great... but instead, I've decided I'll just list the positive things I've experienced. I'm trying to keep myself thinking positively about this job, even though it's stressful and tiring. But there are moments that make me happy, even if it is hard to remember them sometimes.

Best Moments Since Friday:

1. Princess Katelynne
First off, she was automatically awesome because we have the same name. It may be spelled entirely differently, but still. It's the same name. Second, this girl was about three years old with a high pitched voice that just made you smile. She was super happy and smiley, and I got the pleasure of doing her hair on my last day of training with my third trainer, Jennifer. Princess Katelynne's favorite princess was Ariel--and she showed me how she could sing just like her. She broke out into Part Of Your World (I'd asked if she could sing any Disney songs but hadn't expected her to actually sing one) and when she forgot a line, Jennifer and I both jumped in and the three of us sang the rest of the song. She then proceeded to sing Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo for me, since I don't actually know that one, and all the surrounding boutique girls got excited because she was singing "our song". She gave a big "WOW!" when I turned her chair around and she saw that she had long, red hair "just like Ariel!"

2. Princess Jordan
This princess was 11, and I got her today. She seemed like she didn't really want to be there--you know, that whole "I'm too old for this" attitude. Her four year old cousin had finished before her, and she began running around my feet, talking to me and asking about ever two minutes "When is she going to be done?" I was getting a little irritated at how frequently she was asking, simply because the hairstyle Princess Jordan chose was the longest one to do, and I felt like the lack of conversation plus the little girl's continuous questioning was making it seem like I was taking forever. But when I turned the chair around, much to my surprise, Princess Jordan gave a big gasp and exclaimed "WHOA!" with a big smile on her face. She jumped out of her chair and then surprised me again by giving me a big hug. Of course, her little cousin decided that SHE needed to give me a hug as well, even though I hadn't done her hair. So she motioned for me to bend over and then gave me a hug. As I grabbed all of Princess Jordan's things and told her parents to go to the cash register, Princess Jordan hugged me again, and then we walked over to the front. I handed her her goody bag, and, again, she gave me a big hug.

3. The Portuguese Princess
I cannot for the life of me remember this princess's name, which is sad, but this little princess didn't speak a word of English. I almost prefer to get the princesses that don't speak English, because I don't feel any pressure to keep up conversation. When I turned her around, she gasped as the others had, and squirmed in her seat, clapping her hands. Then she stood up on her chair, leaned over and wrapped her arms around my neck, and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I nearly burst into tears right there. It had been a long day and I was just ready to get home. She was my last princess of the day, and I'm glad I got her. She made me leave on a positive note.

4. Princess Morgan
Princess Morgan was my most talkative princess yet. She was my first princess today, and I only had to ask her a few questions and BOOM! She was off. She told me all about her teacher, her friends, her favorite princess, and she even made up stories. I told her about how the pirates stole Cinderella's crown, and she said "I bet it's Tinkerbell! The pirates didn't take it, it just got knocked over when somebody was cleaning and Tinkerbell saw it and took it home to clean it. Tinkerbell is SUCH a kind fairy. And she just LOVES to fix things. She was just being helpful!" Well. I was stumped. I told her that she had a MUCH better explanation than me. And truth be told, she was much closer than our scripted story. Custodial really did knock the crown over, shattered the case, and bent the crown. It's currently being fixed somewhere and we have no idea when we'll get it back. Anyways, so I asked Princess Morgan if she had a Prince Charming, and she responded with "YUCK! No WAY! I'm NEVER going to have a prince!" Her father had been standing nearby talking on and off with me, and he began to laugh, so I commented and said "I bet your daddy is really happy to hear that. But perhaps someday your prince will come." The response? "Never! I don't EVER want to get married! I'm going to stay home with mommy and daddy forever, and it'll be us and my sister, and my daddy will just have to work forever to pay for us." Well, her dad and I nearly fall over laughing at that, and her dad was laughing so hard he was crying. He had to go sit down because of how amused he was by that. She had some really fun parents as well, which always helps my job, because I can switch between talking to them and to the princess.

5. The Magical Mom
So we have these things called "Magical Moments" where we do something out of the ordinary for guests. It doesn't necessarily have to be anything big, just something that goes beyond what we're required to do. Well, yesterday I had had a really hard day with a lot of grumpy, angry parents and some rather unpleasant princesses. Today, I got a princess who wanted rainbow colored hair with a hairstyle called Disney Diva. I was fairly certain I had been told I could use the rainbow hair for this style, so I do the hair, get it all done... and then my manager comes up to me and quietly says "You need to stand the hair straight up with the rainbow hair. We can't have it flattened down for the diva hairstyle because that's not what we advertise." So I've got this princess all finished, and now I'm told I need to change it to something else. So I quietly go over to the mom and explain that I was terribly sorry, but I was unaware that this particular hair piece was required to stand straight up in the Pop Princess style, rather than the diva style. Of course, the mother didn't want this style, and she knew her daughter wouldn't like it, so I'm sitting there feeling awful about totally spoiling this. But the mother was really understanding and super nice and we managed to work it out without any problems. I removed the hair piece and turned it into the Fairytale Princess bun, and the mom was thrilled. At the end, she just kept thanking me over and over for it, when I'm sitting there thinking "Lady, I should be thanking YOU for being so nice to me even though I messed up." AND she tipped me. She definitely made a Magical Moment for me, that's for sure.

6. Peter Pan
If you know me well, you know that I am absolutely OBSESSED with Peter Pan. I have had the biggest little girl crush on him since forever, and every time I see him walking around backstage I get all giddy and the magic most people feel when looking at Mickey Mouse is definitely there. I can see Peter Pan walking around in SWEATS and I still feel the magic. I just love him that much. So imagine how incredibly thrilled I was when he suddenly runs into the boutique and talks to me. He was looking for a little boy, and thought that he might be in the boutique with his sister. I was working the podium that day, so I was the "information center." He ran up to me, said he was looking for a 9 year old boy, and asked if I'd seen him. What did I do? I stood there, dumbstruck and frozen. The only thing I could think was "PETER PAN IS TALKING TO ME!!!" Thankfully one of the girls helping me with the podium had her head on straight and told him to go ahead and look around the boutique. I just stood there and smiled like a fool. What a great impression on my childhood fictional crush, huh? :)

Well, those are the biggest things I can think of for now. I got a lot of magical moments today FROM my princesses and their parents. I think it was thanks to Heavenly Father. I was having a really hard time yesterday after receiving a lot of angry parents and stressful princesses while functioning on little sleep after a 12.5 hour shift. I came in today not wanting to work at all, and every princess I got was wonderful. Each one progressively made the day better, and I think it was a little way of showing me that there IS happiness in my job, even if there are days that aren't so fun.

On another note, the CEO of Youtube's daughter came in on Saturday, a little princess threw up right next to me as I was checking her in, and I was able to go to church yesterday. My ward is really odd, mainly because it's a ward made up of mostly CPs. People come in casual clothes or costumes because they have to run off to work after they take the sacrament. People are leaving meetings periodically throughout it so they can catch a bus. It's just odd. Very different from what I'm used to.

Till next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment